Shopping And Paying Bills Online? Here’s Methods To Protect Your Online Financial Identity
In May 2010, Retail Sales at non-store retailers — a category that includes Amazon and eBay — topped $29 billion, up 16 percent from May 2009. Clearly, Americans are doing an increasing amount of shopping online. And we’re paying our bills online, too.
But how well are we protecting our identities?
In this 5-minute piece from NBC’s The Today Show, you’ll learn the basics of online fraud and methods to minimize the likelihood of identity theft. Furthermore, the tips go beyond the basic “choose a challenging password”. For example, you’ll hear about:
- Why you shouldn’t pay bills from a coffee shop
- Who might be hiding behind an unprotected public wifi network
- The dangers of storing credit card numbers with an online retailer
And, although, at one point, the interviewee goes over the top with respect to spyware and anti-phishing prevention, the point being made is a good one — you can’t be too careful with your online financials and common sense goes a long way.
- VIDEO : How Do I Prioritize Paying Monthly Bills Versus Saving For Retirement?
- Why Medical Bills Are More Dangerous To Homeowners Than ARMs
- So, How Much Is Starbucks Costing You Each Year?